Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A Mother's Thoughts

The time has come after all the hustle and bustle, stressing, excitement, frightful thoughts, happiness, worry, and even envy, that I am able to sit down and think about the last few months that has changed my life. My oldest daughter left the nest and married the love of her life.

She was not only my oldest daughter, but she was my friend. I am so happy for her, but not for me, because she is two thousand miles away. The house seems empty without her "big laugh", her excitement of watching her favorite team the Lakers, her whopping and hollering, arguing with her siblings, teaching in the children's ministry at church, and of course her fierce and committed faith in Jesus. I miss those times when we would talk or just sit and watch a movie together. Don't get me wrong, we've had our disagreements on things, but it challenged us and brought us closer. She became an independent adult before my eyes and sometimes as parents we can't see that. It's funny how my husband and I speak about our children. He'll asked if the "kids are home" or "what are the kids doing tonight?", but we forget that they are not kids. They've grown before our eyes into adulthood and forget that they are adults. Our youngest is twenty-four years old! He's the baby of five! Oh my, where has the time gone?

You might be wondering why I mentioned that I was envious in my beginning statement. Well, I'm envious but so happy and excited for my daughter. She gets to start a new and exciting journey! She gets to share her adventure with her husband in living in a new state, new job, new church, new home, new friends, and she is experiencing new adventures and places that she has never been before. God has opened up so many blessings for her. I can see God's hand in her new life and I know that God doesn't take away something without replacing something in place of it. I did get a son-in-law who loves her with his whole being. What more can you ask for?

I love her, miss her, pray for her, but most of all I thank God that I had her for almost thirty-four years, and that was an exciting adventure in itself. I can't wait to see what God has in store for me and my family!

1 comment:

Becky said...

Awwww, what a sweet mama you are.

I admire greatly the relationships you and your family members all share. Getting to know one of you is all it takes to feel like you know ALL of you. ;)