Saturday, January 5, 2008

Work, What's That

I finally get to sit down for a few minutes. It's funny how husbands think that because you are a "stay at home mom" that you don't do anything. That really cracks me up. Do they really think that we stay home and do nothing? That we sit around all day reading, relaxing, watching a movie, talking to friends on the phone? Today is Saturday, and my husband doesn't work on weekends. Today was not an ordinary day because we took my mother-in-law out for lunch for her birthday with the rest of the family, which was very nice, but it sort of messed up my husband's schedule. Do I get to get Saturdays off too? Do I get to work eight hours a day and then call it a day? Does someone have dinner ready for me when I'm done? Don't even go there. It's so funny how husbands think that because we don't have a job out of the home that we have it made. Please, if my husband had to hire people to do the work us SAHM's do, he couldn't even afford it. Here's an example of my typical Monday morning. I get up and fix coffee, get my shot, move my car so my husband can get to work, read my Bible, pray, take clothes out of the dryer and fold them and put them away, put clothes in the dryer from the washer, put clothes in the washer, feed the dog, clean the kitchen, pick up the bonus room and family room, make my bed, clean my room, clean my bathroom, take out the trash, and I have this done by 8:30 in the morning so that I can get to the chruch to work in my office by 9:00-9:15. I once told my husband that I needed to go back to work so that I could rest. He thought that was funny! I explained that at least I would get a coffee break, lunch break and a afternoon break without any interruptions.

On the other hand I am so grateful that I am a SAHM because I got to raise my children and was involved in their school activities. I get to clean my house and put things where I want them. I get to pray when I want, read my Bible when I want, work at the church when I am needed, meet my girls for lunch at their job, cook, which I love to do, be there when my children would have their friends over at the house, and spend some time with my husband when he came home early before the kids got home. I guess my life is pretty great! But my husband still cracks me up when he thinks that I don't have much to do, that I have it made. Well, when you really think about it, that's what God intended in the first place, that I was fortunate to be a SAHM. I remember when I did have an outside job, and worked long hours, and couldn't wait to get home to my family. Sometimes, we have to help with the family income, and that's okay, but as long as you do your best in what you are doing and whatever place God has placed you, you're doing a great job. Does anyone one out there have any extra hours they can spare? 24 hours is not quite enough for doing nothing.

2 comments:

The Daily Bee said...

Lol! So true, we talked about this before.

I can't imagine growing up without you there. We were blessed.

I'm looking for some extra hours too, when you find out where to get them let me know!

Becky said...

Hi Deb's mom!

Oy, you mean they still say this after the kids are grown, lol?